Diploma In Optometry Technician
Paramedical relating to services and professions which supplement and support medical work but do not require a fully qualified doctor(such as nursing, radiography, emergency first aid, physiotherapy and dietics) management and education are also key paramedical roles.” U.P state medical recognized that paramedical education is a formally recognized programme of students providing a broad and sound foundation in the behavioural, life and paramedical sciences for the practice of paramedical.
Paramedical is a profession within the Health Care Sector focused on the care of individuals, families and communities so they may attain maintain or recover optimal health and quality of life paramedical care for individuals of all ages and all cultural backgrounds who are healthy and ill in a holistic manner based on the individuals physical, emotional, psychological, intellectual, social and spiritual needs. The profession combines physical sciences, social science and technology in caring for those individuals. U.P state medical faculty believes in concept of Health laid down by World Health Organization (WHO) “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” In order to provide qualitative paramedical Care there is a need to train technician effectively to work as a team member of health care delivery system. It is therefore their training should involve positive attitudes, knowledge, skills, professional expertise, latest trends in health care and health care needs of the community and the country as a whole for a leadership role and for the basic education in specialties for advanced paramedical practice.
The Country believes that this basic course in paramedical should prepare technician for occupying first level positions in paramedical in all kinds of health care settings. The Council recognizes that paramedical is a profession which is influenced by advances in science and technology, it believes that skills in all aspects of communication are also essential learning and for the practice of paramedical. The Council also recognizes that the nature of paramedical is such that a substantial portion of learning of the study is acquired in clinical field(s) of practice. It further recognized the interdependence of paramedical to allied professions and occupations in prevention of diseases, promotion, maintenance and restoration of health. The Council believes that it has a responsibility in helping the students to develop pride in their profession besides keeping them abreast with current knowledge and professional trends for a successful career ahead.
The aim of the Diploma in Optometry Technician program is to:
- Educate students about various professionals methods of visual screening, diagnosis of visual problems, orthotics counseling of patients with partial sight, colour blindness and hereditary vision defects, and designing and fitting of spectacles,contact lens.
On completion of the 2 year Paramedical program the graduates will be able to prepare a Dialysis Technician who:
- Can assess error of refraction & measure it with retinoscopy and subjective refraction.
- Can use common instruments & equipments related to opthalmology.
- Can perform procedure like Tonometry, Syringes, Funds photo, Slit lamp examination, Ophthalmoscopy, Corneal staining , FB removal, Dressing of eye etc.
- Can prepare & prescribe glasses/spectacles and low vision aids.
- Can assist common ophthalmic surgeries.
- Can assist common opthalmic surgeries.
- Can play role in blindness control programmes run by government.
- Is aware of latest machines like LASERS, OCT,Femtosecond etc.